Storm Water

The Engineering Division provides the engineering services, support, and management needed in the maintenance, design and implementation of Cache County’s roads, bridges, storm water facilities, and other public infrastructure. In addition, we provide engineering support and resources to other county departments and citizens. We also help maintain compliance with federal, state and local requirements.


Functions We Perform

  • Review development application such as Zoning Clearances, Subdivisions, Conditional Use Permits, Rezones, Annexations and Special Event Permits.
  • Provide design and oversight in project development for Capital Improvement Projects.
  • Review and approve County Right-Of-Way Encroachment Permits, Land Disturbance Permits and Flood Development Permits
  • Create County Roadway Design and Construction Standards.
  • Manage and oversee the production of master plans and studies.
  • Ensure compliance with current Storm water (MS4) requirements
  • Provide continuous assistance to County citizens, contractors, consultants, and other public agencies concerning land and municipal engineering issues.


Proposed Flood Hazard Determination
for Cache County, Utah and Incorporated Areas

The Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency has issued a preliminary Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM), and where applicable, Flood Insurance Study (FIS) report, reflecting proposed flood hazard determinations within Cache County, Utah and Incorporated Areas.

For information on the statutory 90-day period provided for appeals, as well as a complete listing of the communities affected and the locations where copies of the FIRM are are available, click here or call FEMA  Mapping and Insurance eXchange (FMIX) toll free at 1-877-FEMA (1-877-336-2627).

Newspaper Notice


Beginning in 2022 If the work being completed with any of the following permits is associated with a structure that is required to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy all the work and conditions of the applicable permits must be completed before occupancy will be given. This will be done through requiring the developer to obtain a completed Cache County Public Works and Fire District Pre-Occupancy Checklist prior to receiving their Certificate of Occupancy from the Building Department.

The Engineering Division issues multiple permits that may be required for development in the County. Below are the different permits that the engineering Department issues.

Encroachment Permits
An encroachment is required to perform any work in the County right-of-way or on County owned property.

Land Disturbance Permits
A land disturbance permit is required for any development that will disturb more than 5000 square feet or occurs near a sensitive area.

Floodplain Development Permit
A flood development Permit is required for any development that occurs in the Special Flood Hazard Area.

Unincorporated Cache County is one of 11 entities in the county that qualifies as a Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4).  Nine incorporated cities and Utah State University  under the Phase II Storm Water Management requirements mandated by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) under the Federal Water Pollution Control Act of 1972, as amended, which is commonly referred to as the Clean Water Act.

Each MS4 is required to provide a Storm Water Management Plan (SWMP) showing how they will address the following six minimum control measures: 

  • Public Education
  • Public Involvement
  • Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
  • Construction Site Management
  • Post Construction Management
  • Good Housekeeping Practices

Storm Water Management Plan (SWMP)
2021 Draft Storm Water Management Plan

Land Disturbance Permit

Report an Issue

The Cache County Construction Storm Water Inspector, is responsible for the oversight of construction storm water issues in the unincorporated county. The Inspector monitors and ensures compliance with the National and Utah Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES / UPDES) and other State and Federal regulations.